Tech trends 2017
Gartner’s top 10 trends will drive the future of the intelligent digital mesh. Enterprise architecture and technology innovation leaders must prepare for the impacts of these disruptive trends on people, businesses and IT departments, and determine how they can provide competitive advantage.
- An intelligent digital mesh is emerging to support the future of digital business and its underlying technology platforms and IT practices. The mesh focuses on people and the Internet of Things (IoT) endpoints, as well as the information and services that these endpoints access.
- Capabilities such as blockchains, distributed ledgers and digital twins will bring the physical and digital realms ever closer to supporting digital business initiatives.
- Artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning are the means of injecting intelligence into new and existing apps and things to form the intelligent digital mesh.
- Relentless and ever-increasing security attacks require adaptive security architectures that emphasize security-aware solution design; AI-enabled user and entity behavior analytics; and new architecture, methods and tools to address IoT and intelligent digital mesh security.
Enterprise architecture and technology innovation leaders using enterprise architecture to master emerging and strategic trends must:
- Plan for a radical, long-term (2020 to 2025) evolution of the user experience for both customers and employees as conversational systems, augmented reality (AR), virtual reality (VR) and continuous/contextual user experiences radically change the way people interact with systems.
- Explore opportunities to create new systems that require AI and machine learning, and showcase their intelligent feature systems (such as virtual personal assistants [VPAs], robots and autonomous vehicles), and augment existing apps and things (for example, customer service, enterprise applications, consumer electronics and medical devices).
- Examine specific, targeted and high-value use cases to apply AR/VR, build digital twins to support IoT initiatives, and embrace blockchains and distributed ledgers in 2017 to 2019.
- Build a security mindset into application design and operations, while augmenting preventive controls and security monitoring with user and entity behavior analytics